Monday, January 4, 2016

"Negative Self Talk"

One of my 2016 goals is to cut down on "negative self talk." Though, sometimes I have trouble even convincing myself that is what I am doing. Often I think "I am just being honest." But if I am actually facing facts, I am consistently honest with everyone else in my life, and I would never look at one of them and say "you are worthless," "you are disgusting," "you have never really been an attractive person," and I DO say those things to myself in the mirror almost daily.

So how does one begin with "positive self talk?" I tried looking in the mirror and saying "You is good, you is kind, you is important," but it just felt like a lie. My sister says that you have to keep saying it to yourself even if it DOES feel like you are lying. So, I am trying something a little different tomorrow. I am thinking of something along the lines of "Straighten your God damned shoulders and face the world like an adult instead of cowering in your own thoughts like a little bitch." I will let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha! That sounds a little more like your kind of "positive" self talk. Technically calling yourself names isn't positive, but it's what you would say to me, so go for it!

    Hey, actually, that's a good idea. Before you say it to yourself, ask if you'd say it to me!

    ReplyDelete